Thursday, March 21, 2019

The Big C

Most of you have known me for a while. If not, let me explain: I am 81. Aside from minor arthritis things I am in perfect health and take really good care of myself. I work out 6 days a week....hard. I have always been athletic, active, involved. 
My father died at 93 of prostate cancer, which had spread to the bone because he ignored all the tests.
My mother had cervical cancer when she was 40, had surgery, nothing else,  and lived another 52 years, finally dying of heart problems.
So you can imagine my surprise when I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. But my main reason for writing this is how it happened, because who’d have ever thought of this?
I developed slight urine incontinence. Common for women in my age bracket, easy to ignore. My sister said: “I’ve been wearing little pads for years!” But I decided to make certain I didn’t have a bladder infection, as this incontinence began rather suddenly. No infection. And here’s the second clue, which I actually said to the doctor : something is not right. ( I have only read that as a warning sign once.) Couldn’t put my finger on anything. Felt fine, eating fine, working out, all seemed well.
And so it began. My internist was really on top of things, one test after another until it was discovered. Ovarian cancer.
We all know the common warning signs: (and yes, there are others)
  • Abdominal bloating or swelling
  • Quickly feeling full when eating
  • Weight loss
  • Discomfort in the pelvis area
  • Changes in bowel habits, such as constipation
  • A frequent need to urinate
I had none of those.
So when incontinence happens in women over 80, it is almost always considered normal. Not so. 
So this is my gift to you: have a great internist who cares about you. Watch for any little easily ignored changes or merely an odd feeling something’s not right.
Surgery was 5 days ago. I’ll not know complete biopsy results until next week. Chemo will start in a month or so. My “normal” is no longer normal. Yes, I have hope, yes I trust my surgeon, yes, I will do as asked.
My children have been bricks. This is harder on them than on me. My daughter is staying with me through most of this. Send her waves of strength. She’s going to need it. Keep all three of them in your prayers


No comments: