Thursday, March 28, 2019

Almost Week Two


Well, the staples are out along with the JP drain. No, it didn’t hurt to have staples removed, but it pinches pretty darn hard. They put bandage type patches over staples and said they would all fall off in the shower eventually. It is a huge relief to be able to wear clothes again.
And a side effect...I lost 20 pounds. Not the best way in the world to lose, but better than not. Oddly, aside from the 4 days of starvation at the time of surgery, my appetite has been fine.
The biopsy stuff is in, I swear, they practically took everything out they could find. My daughter sent the info to the family and it sure shut them all up. No doubt scared them to death as even I didn’t like reading it. They think they got it all, but I suspect they always say that. It officially is stage 3c ovarian cancer. Not good news, but I’ll fight do what I’m supposed to do. We talked it all over with my internist and agreed with the program the oncologist has suggested.

Next I get a port. Another fun event. The first chemo will start a week after that. There will be six, 6 hours each every three weeks. The drugs are carbo platinum and taxol which are the common first ones given for ovarian cancer. We looked at the chemo room (which is actually in the doctors office) and it meets all the strictest protocols a friend suggested we look for. I will continue these updates. 

The only new thing I heard about is called a “penguin cap”.  Something filled with dry ice you wear on your head during chemo and it prevents you from losing your hair. ( I think taxol causes that) It is not only uncomfortable, but very expensive. I’m passing on that one...decided to get a really short haircut from the start and a wig. At my age, vanity is out the window. 


My daughter is treating me to a facial today. I can’t wait. She’ll be going home for a week or so and then come back for first chemo.

3 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Take care Barbara..hmm..all medical things make us more humble and vanity has a way of eventually diminishing.
I envy people who were never vain .
Have a glorious facial..again kudos to both of you girls there and my best wishes for courage and healing.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I'll keep you in my prayers, Barbara! You are a fighter and that goes a long way. There is so much more knowledge/technology than when I worked as an oncology nurse decades ago. Know I'm thinking of you as you continue this journey towards remission. xo

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Hello, Barbara. I'm just now catching up on reading your diary. I didn't realize that you have made other entries other than the first. I just wanted to let you know that when I had breast cancer surgery 30 years ago almost to the day, I had to have 6 cycles of chemotherapy. At that time, a frozen gel cap was part of the program for chemo patients if they wanted to opt in for it. I did and never lost my hair. The cap was put on my head 30 minutes before they started the chemo drip. It was removed from the protocol because they didn't think it helped enough people so I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Just wanted to let you know for whatever it's worth, Barbara. Also wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and so hope you enjoy your time without needles :) You are so lucky to have Tracy. Bless her and you!