Sunday, October 6, 2019

The New Chemo


It’s been a while since I gave you an update. I’m afraid the news isn’t as good as I hoped. My CA125 test took a 13 point jump which pretty much means the chemo combination is not doing it’s work. So on Friday they are starting me on another, Doxil. This one is every 28 days instead of every 21.

However, before I get it, I have to have a Muga scan, which makes certain all is right with my heart, as this drug could cause problems.

Those of you with heart problems will know all about this, but for those who don’t, here’s what happens during a Muga scan: They inserted an IV line and withdrew some blood. I waited for 20 minutes while they took my blood and mixed it with a radioactive isotope ( sodium pertechnetate Tc 99m for those who care) and then reinjected it.

Took me to one of those rooms containing something similar to the PET or MRI machines, attached 4 electrodes to my chest and, after I told him my left arm can’t stay over my head, put the same elastic thing they used before to keep my arms next to my body. ( My left shoulder was injured years ago and movement in certain directions.....i.e. over my head ....is impossible) The scan took about 15 minutes or so. Then he moved the machine so it was over left side and told me I had to lift my arms over my head for another 15 minutes. My left shoulder was in excruciating pain for the entire thing, shaking even. Told him I don’t know how they got any decent pictures when I was shaking so hard, but he said it was OK. They removed the IV and that was it.

Thursday afternoon I got a call and all is well with my heart because we are to start Doxil tomorrow.

1st day:

Once again Jeni, the chemo nurse, started with Zofron for nausea, then Benadryl, then the Doxil, which is bright red. (She warned me my urine might be red.) It only took 2 1/2 hours. For the first time the Benadryl made me sleepy. I actually fell asleep for half hour or so. (On the other hand, I had two very early mornings in a row AND a lot of stress.) I took an hour nap this afternoon. Unusual. Also, a few light hot flashes, that's all. Then I was hit with an allergy attack, a pretty bad one. I found some old sinus nightime, took them when I went to bed and when I woke up I was fine.

2nd day:
Felt pretty good, took a walk, did errands (with mask on), went to the grocery store with Tracy as son David is coming for dinner. The day and evening went well, felt fine.

3rd day:
Started out well, we're considering a beach day. The next three days are usually the worst, but so far, so good. Tracy said she heard the nurse say this drug kills everything. I must have been asleep as I didn't hear that.

Will report again after the the next chemo.

2 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I am so sorry you have all the stress that accompanies all the visits all the tests..all the discomfort.
I like that Tracy said this drug kills everything.That girl♥
You two♥

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Your poor arm! I'm glad they were able to complete the test and that you were able to start on the new treatment, Barbara. You are such a trooper ♥ I'm so glad to hear that Tracy is able to be with you and that David was able to come for a visit too. Many positive thoughts, my friend!