Monday, April 15, 2019

1 month

 The first chemo went well. No pain at all accessing the port. They did a blood test, then said all was well. They started with three drip bags via the port: medicine to coat the stomach, an antibiotic and some benadryl. Then they started with taxol, followed by carboplatinum. It all took about 5 1/2 hours. I feel great, but guess I will have a couple days (hopefully) that I will feel fine, then get hit with exhaustion and, hopefully, considering those expensive pills, nausea. About those pills:

They’re called Emend  and my drug program would not cover the cost. You need three for each chemo, they cost almost $700 for the three. You can reapply and apply to a program with Merck that will give them for free for a year. I was accepted. They were supposed to arrive by Saturday, but didn’t, so I had to find a drugstore that had it in stock and pay them $635! Fortunately, the pharmacist was on the ball, went to a website dedicated to finding coupons for drugs your company turned down. He found me a $410 coupon, so didn’t have to pay the full shot. We should receive the pills from Merck this week.
I was given steroids to take orally the night before, in the morning, and twice a day for next three days. She also stuck a neulasta patch (well, not a patch, more like a small machine that flashes a green light) on my right arm. For 27 hours, then we take it off. It’s for your white blood cells. I was stupid enough to forget I sleep on that side. Duhhhh.
Did I mention I have to take my temperature twice a day? And go back one week before next chemo for blood test. I think this is also the month I have to see the gyn for post surgery exam. Good planning again. double duhhh.

So water. You have to drink gallons of it to wash all the bad stuff out. Also, my bathroom is considered toxic, nobody can enter except me...toilet lid down to flush, and flush twice.

Here I am: 



How do you like my short hair? And Tracy says this photo is an Apple product ad. 
Next chemo in three weeks. They said if I felt OK I could go out to dinner....eat nothing raw. But were vague about the gym, which, at the time of day I go, nobody is there and I could wear a mask, wipe everything down etc ; who knows who’s touching the food in the kitchen? I can’t wash that! So many incongruities! Both the doctors said to do what I want.
So far, so good. 

2 comments:

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love the short haircut, Barbara, and it really looks cute on you. Thank goodness for the small things, right? You'll have to let me know which iPhone Tracy has because that is a great photo. Hope you continue to feel as good as you do today and thanks so much for the update ♥

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Forgot to say, thank goodness Merck is sending you the nausea pills and that the pharmacist found you a coupon. Egads!